Los Angeles, CA
Automation Process Manager leads the union labor ensuring execution of their daily tasks in an efficient, safe, and timely manner following contractual ILWU terms with an emphasis on operations on the quay, yard, and at Inner Facility Transfer (IFT). Furthermore, this role ensures effective and timely coordination of various activities which contribute to achieving targeted productivity and providing highly effective turnovers.
• Leads and manage staff, labor, and vendors to achieve established safety, financial and production goals.
• Manage the development and performance of key stakeholders, including, but not limited to, recommending and/or implementing positive reinforcement, training and ensure uniform and consistent application of ILWU CBA in coordination with Labor Relations when necessary. In addition, supervise key stakeholders to achieve customer service level agreements related to the execution team.
• Mediate operational issues with union representatives and business agents effectively and professionally.
• Exercise management authority to promote total-terminal success in accordance with the company leadership’s strategic vision, including optimization of work processes and efficient manpower utilization.
• Build and promote strong working relationships with customers, vendors, and the ILWU workforce.
• Structures routine tasks and goals, set priorities, efficiently executes daily tasks with considerations for operational cost, safety and efficiency through the effective allocation and utilization of resources.
• Responsible for the training and development of staff to include monthly check-ins and ongoing feedback on job performance and professional growth.
• Responsible for setting individual direct report objectives, providing regular performance feedback, recognize key contributions and on-going review of individual performance.
• Responsible for writing and communicating work performance improvement plan by providing coaching and counseling for growth as well as recommending final disciplinary decisions.
• Responsible for recommending salary increases and/or promotions.
• Responsible for maintaining staff discipline during the shift and communicate to Shift Manager as needed.
• Ensure that safe working practices according to P400 policies and procedures are adhered to.
• Inform and liaise with shift TOB staff on equipment IT failures and issues.
• Maintain personal contact with all stakeholders, including but not limited to, ship officers, crew, boarding agents and Port Captains during berthing / sailing and vessel operations.
• Supervise and ensure smooth execution of gates activities and diligently manage exceptions with the Gate manager.
Necessary to perform the requirements of the position:
• Education – Minimum four (4) year degree from an accredited college or equivalent Terminal Operations working experience of five (5) or more years
• Accountability – Ability to set operational plans with short-term impact by maintaining standards that lead to high performance and execution
• Agility – Ability to modify important changes rapidly
• Collaboration – Ability to exchange and adapt skills when working together across boundaries
• Functional Excellence – Broad knowledge in job area/discipline or expertise in a specific discipline